HOW TO APPLY FOR ADMISSION INTO A PROGRAMME
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) conducts all direct admissions into the National Innovation Diploma (NID) and National Diploma (ND) programmes offered by all polytechnics and similar tertiary institutions in the country, except for candidates who enrolled in the appropriate Preparatory Course for National Diploma (PRE-ND), who may take the JAMB examination before registering for ND 1. Usually, a prospective candidate for national diploma programme applies to JAMB for application form, writes the matriculation examination and on the basis of his/her score in the examination, and other criteria that may be laid down by the proprietor of the institution, the candidate may be offered provisional admission. The final admission of the candidate however, depends on his/her meeting the minimum admission requirements as laid down by NBTE.
In the case of admissions into other programmes offered by the polytechnics, namely, the Higher National Diploma (HND) and the Preparatory Course for National Diploma (PRE-ND) the following procedure may apply.
Application forms are usually obtained from the individual institutions. Completed forms are returned to the institutions. Many institutions now provide on-line application/registration.
Admission of a candidate into a programme is the prerogative of the Academic Board of the institution which should ensure that the candidate meets the minimum entry requirements for the programme as laid down by the NBTE.
II. GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS INTO NATIONAL DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES.
The minimum entry requirements for the ND/NID Programmes are as follows:
1. SSCE/GCE ordinary level or its equivalent with credit passes in five subjects relevant to the programme obtained at not more than two sittings;
2. Five credit passes in relevant subjects obtained at the final examination of an NBTE recognised Preparatory Course for National Diploma (PRE-ND) offered in a polytechnic or similar tertiary technical institution.
3. The National Technical Certificate (NTC) or National Business Certificate (NBC) with pass in a trade plus four relevant academic subjects or National Vocational Certificate (NVC) final and at least a pass in English Language.
4. A satisfactory score in the MPCE examination, which is conducted annually by JAMB.
5. Holders of the Advanced National Technical Certificate (ANTC) may be given enhanced placement in the ND Programme provided they have also met the minimum entry requirements into the ND programmes and obtained good grades in the ANTC Examinations.
Entry Requirements into Preparatory Course for National Diploma
For the Preparatory Course for National Diploma, the general entry requirement is five GCE O’Level/SSCE with minimum of pass grades in not more than two sittings in subjects relevant to the programme.
1. Pre-ND Science and Technology
a) GCE ‘O’ Level or SSCE with a minimum of pass grades ordinary passes or their equivalent in English Language and Mathematics and three subjects chosen from:
i. Biology/Agricultural Science/Health Science
v. Further Mathematics
vi. Technical Drawing/Fine Arts
vii. Food and Nutrition
viii. Basic Electricity
ix. Metal Work
x. Auto Mechanics
xi. General Metal Work
xii. General Woodwork
xiii. Home Economics
xiv. Religious Knowledge
xvi. Clothing and Textile
Choice of the three subjects will determine the programme in which the candidate will finally enrol for the National Diploma.
b) National Technical Certificate (NTC) or equivalent with pass grades in the relevant trade and passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and one subject from 1(a) above.
GENERAL ENTRY REQUIREMENT FOR NATIONAL DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
The minimum entry requirement into National Diploma Programmes in any of the following:
1. SSCE/GCE Ordinary Level or its equivalent with credit level passes in five subjects relevant to the programme at not more than two sittings”
2. Five credit level passes in relevant subjects obtained at the final examination of an NBTE recognized preliminary ND course offered in a Polytechnic or Similar Post-Secondary Technical Institution.
3. The National Technical Certificates (NTC), National Business Certificate (NBC) or National Vocational Certificate (NVC) final with Credit level passes in five subjects relevant to the programme.
4. In addition to 1 - 3 above, candidates must obtain a satisfactory score in the JAMB – MPCE Examination which is conducted annually.
5. A holder of the Advanced National Technical Certificate (ANTC) may be given advanced placement in the ND Programme provided the candidate has also met the minimum entry requirements into the ND Programme and obtained minimum of credit level grades in the ANTC Examinations.
Applicants for Technology Programmes
All candidates applying for Science and Technology Programme must possess a credit level pass in Mathematics and at least a pass in English Language. Exceptions is:-
Art and Design in which a credit level pass is required in English Language (not Literature in English).
Applicants for Business Studies Programmes:Candidates should have credit passes in English Language and Mathematics.
GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR HND PROGRAMMES
Applicants who possess the following qualifications may be considered for direct admission into Higher National Diploma Programmes:
1. The National Diploma (ND) or National Innovation Diploma (NID) with a minimum of lower credit pass in the discipline obtained from an NBTE accredited programme plus a minimum of one-year Post-ND or Post-NID cognate work experience in the field of specialisation.
2. Candidates with ND or NID at pass level and a minimum of two-year post-ND or Post-NID work experience may also be considered.
3. For the HND Bilingual Secretarial Studies Programme, a pass in the relevant language at the SSCE or equivalent qualifications will be an advantage. This is in addition to 1 – 2 above. All candidates will be expected to pass an intensive 16 weeks language course prior to the commencement of the programme.